Ok, so i final have found a real wood boat that i would like to scratch build...???

smokeater2005 created the topic: Ok, so i final have found a real wood boat that i would like to scratch build...

But to me it looks like a combo of a crackerbox rear and a possible deep vee front?

Beyond that I would like to know if anyone has seen or built a wood boat similar to the one in the picture that i have uploaded?

oh, and no this is the only pic i have found of this boat and no other angles were provided.

How would i go about planning for my first would boat build?
How would i morph a crackerbox a typical wood boat design and make it look somewhat like the one i found, which is one of the few i have found that i like enough to take on a scratch build...

and this is the other pic i found that i would consider building, but i truly like the first design more...

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

woody replied the topic: Re: Ok, so i final have found a real wood boat that i would like to scratch buil

Hi Smokeeater.

First of all: Those fine boats will work fine as scale models. They will also be very fast, but they will never win a race against more modern hulls.
Second: As a trained boat builder I would absolutely prefer the second boat. This is a true classic, but it will be very demanding to build, as it demands a lot of care about shape and details.
I think that I have seen drawings of this beauty somewhere on the net.
If I find them again, I will let you know.

Cheers! :cheer:

Woody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smokeater2005

Nightow1 replied the topic: Re: Ok, so i final have found a real wood boat that i would like to scratch buil

I can attest to the build being a tough one. My farther is a master wood worker and he and I had some difficulty building a 38" 1938 Chris Craft Triple Cockpit Runabout all from mahogany. But it is all worth it when your finished, there a gorgeous boat. I regret selling that boat bad. I have sense sworn never to sell any other boat I build by hand. now I just need the space :)
Good luck and keep us posted, I would relay love to see the build.

smokeater2005 replied the topic: Re: Ok, so i final have found a real wood boat that i would like to scratch buil

thanks for the input woody, and nightow1,

woody, I picked the first out for two reasons. 1st this looked to be a more simplistic build. and 2nd it would show the scale V8 that I would put in it. it woud be a more show than go build for me and moreover a tribute to my grandfather who was a master craftsman carpenter all his life and taught me everything I know about wood... but if u can find any plans of the first boat since they are similar im sure it would be most helpful...

nightow1, I will most def keep ya up to date with the build plan and action stages...

Nightow1 replied the topic: Re: Ok, so i final have found a real wood boat that i would like to scratch buil

I dont know if this is what you are looking for but here is a free plan for a Runabout riviera . Hope this helps a little.
This is just a highlight of the plans, they look good.

smokeater2005 replied the topic: Re: Ok, so i final have found a real wood boat that i would like to scratch buil

Ok so after a bit more research I desired two things. First is that the first picture is of a one-off boat. Second, is that I really like the 22' palm beach wooden boat design. But I am not someone who can make frames off the top of my head, yet they want 250$ for the plans which should include the .DXR files for a CNC or Laser cutting machine to chop out some frames as this is the most important part from what I understand. Having to do with shape of boat amongst other things I believe that I would want a good back bone to attempt this type of build in ¼ scale. I wonder if they would sell me a ¼ scale .DXR file with minimal build instructions for less? Hmmmm worth an email.. ill let you guys know what they say…

22' palm beach wooden boat design

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.