Need help setting up a mono for the first time.

Jase replied the topic: Need help setting up a mono for the first time.

Excuse my ignorance, but where is the chine line?
I'm beginning to think that maybe a Insane Gen3 mono with insane hardware might be the way to go. At least it would come with a set up guide and hardware/ radiobox designed for it . Hopefully it would make my job easier.
Just thinking at the moment, or maybe a seaducer 47" mono although they are a bit rich for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Canadian Hot Rod RC Boats replied the topic: Need help setting up a mono for the first time.

Read the Lazer set up sheet - what he is talking about is turn fins & where they sit on boat - the last page on the set up sheet has a diagram of how things go - have a look

Just read it through and you will understand

Go slow and just post here step by step and you have no problems -- first worry about getting all your stuff and how it all works together. then post a picture and ask

Start with understanding the set up sheet and then go one step at a time

Not to hard - just go slow and ask away

Worry about props and stuff AFTER you build the boat --

First HARDWARE
then INTERIOR & ENGINE

First things first

Randy

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats
www.youtube.com/channel/UCjwPZIU4nBUUk1CG0xf3TnQ
Attachments:

Hot Rods replied the topic: Need help setting up a mono for the first time.

With all due respect, you would be far better off NOT trying to rig your own boat, until you have done some homework, looked at a LOT of pics, and talked to members of a club, or seen first hand what works for these boats. I think it would be a mistake for you to get a Seaducer hull before you have some experience building and running RC boats. They can be great hulls, but they are very particular to just the right set-up, and many guys get frustrated trying to work with them. They are not a boat to learn on.

Just so you know; the chine ( line ) is where the outside of the V's running surface, meets the vertical side of the hull.

This site is LOADED with info, terminology, pics, tech articals, everything you need to make good choices and not waste time and money. The hobby is far more fun when we are working forward, rather than getting frustrated with uninformed mistakes.

You may want to consider getting a used, complete boat ( good time of year ) in reasonably good shape. By doing simple maintenance and studying the structure, you will be way ahead on building your own hull, down the road.

I have an old boat already. That's where the engine will be coming from (it's new), the boats is probably over 10 years old
and has a different set up yo what I'm after, ie. it has a strut not a stinger, the way the stuffing tube is mounted is different to what I'm seeing/reading. By the way is the stuffing tube only secured at the t-bar and then the transom? No need for extra bracing?

I'm going to read over the set up guide for the 45" after work. I already feel more confident about things so thanks again guys.

So, I've ordered a right angle attachment for my dremel. What bits do you guys use to drill the holes for the engine mounts etc in the stringers?

Canadian Hot Rod RC Boats replied the topic: Need help setting up a mono for the first time.

Dremel makes a set that are for that tool & wood work (brad point)

www.dremel.com/en-ca/Accessori...aspx?pid=631-01

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats
Attachments:

If you've looked at any number of pics of current monos, you would see there is no extra bracing of the stuffing tube between T bar and transom. Also, when setting up the C of G, drilling motor mount holes in the rails is the last thing to do to establish the balance of the finished hull.

Thanks again. I'm going to start ordering hardware this week and will post pics when I get them.
Just ordered the Dremel bits, thanks for the tip, and I'm still waiting on a couple of things to come
from the states so it might be a slow process but I'm in no great hurry.
I was toying with the idea of getting one the local auto refinishers to do paint job on it for me. Is there any drawbacks from painting over the gel coat? Besides the cost lol?

If I was doing it and not sure of the hull's performance, I would build it, run it, dial in all the handling, and then decide if it was worth putting money into a paint job. But if you do paint it, it's wise to NOT paint the hull bottom. The paint build-up can cause rounded corners on the running surface and hurt handling and speed.

Paint it if you want - it's your boat and obviously a play boat not a SAW boat - duh

Guys trying to try a FIRST build and your doing everything you can to discourage him and tell him he shouldn't and get someone else to build. If you don't try you don't learn.

I paint lots of boats - how many you have painted ???

Gee give the guy a chance and some encouragement ..

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.