wood

nzffboat created the topic: wood

hi all
im new to building wood boats. normally I use plastic but this time I want different. I dont know what to use. balsa or plywood? and what thickness? It will be gas powered.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

missnmoney replied the topic: wood

depends on the build itself.
1/4" marine plywood or Baltic birch plywood, I use Balsa for planes not boats. even though lighter its not strong enough.

dont forget to seal all wood with an epoxy type sealer.

ridgerunner replied the topic: wood

Most use 1/8" thick aircraft grade plywood,but other types can be used such as Okoume or even a cabinet grade plywood if sealed properly. If I'm going to fiberglass the outside of the hull I've even used 3/32" plywood as the fiberglass and the resin make up the other 1/32 " to give you near 1/8".

marc replied the topic: wood

I have tried several different kinds of plywoods, but I have found the Aircraft Grade Finnish Birch Plywood to be of the best quality. The plywood I use is Germanischer Lloyd tested. This means water tested amongst other tests. It is somewhat expensive but the quality is just exceptional. I have also used some 1/4 locally produced Baltic Birch Plywood, which is made with waterproof glue and has passed my own 4 hour boil tests. It is 5 ply as with most hobby grade plywoods. The Finnish Birch Ply in 1/4" is 12 ply, 1/16" is 3 ply, 1/8" is 5 ply. Great quality plywood!

Modelgasboats.com - Home of the WARPATH Riggers!

Follow Modelgasboats.com on FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE
"

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.