Rat Fink II Razor

woody replied the topic: Re: Rat Fink II Razor

Hey Canadian.

Thanks for the videos. Looking great, though I think you could get better speed with a couple of trim tabs. Well - just my theory.

(Somebody should throw that dog into the water with the rat - that should quiet her down) :P

No really: I have the same MHZ gearbox as yours. Are you satisfied with it? Any problems or good advice about it?
I also have the same water intakes as yours. Do they work ok?

Cheers! :cheer:

Woody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Canadian Hot Rod RC Boats replied the topic: Re: Rat Fink II Razor

Woody
Not impressed with gear box , seems heavy and gears don't run that smooth. Also leaks oil. I will take apart over winter and try to add some sealed bearings - maybe ceramic if I can find and machine some of the weight out of it.

Tried several oils but only one runs smooth - synethic (the cool here I think has a lot to do with it) I think the box can be improved and will work on it.

The water pickups may need to be opened up some as water was barely trickling out. Need to look at that. May be way hoses are ran and may be boat was too slow.

I had a split in fuel line and with a head cold (can't smell) didn't notice till I went to fill it up third time. Boat had a lot of gas in it.

Anyways I took apart and ported up a J&G V2 I have and will try (Last time for year I'm sure as it's freezing and snow here now) .... Maybe Saturday and then solid water time

Later Bud

Randy

Misty Creek Boats - Canada

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats
www.youtube.com/channel/UCjwPZIU4nBUUk1CG0xf3TnQ

Thanks Randy.

I will have my son (the machine engineer) to read your response, so he is prepared for the problems you have mentioned about the gear box.
As for the water intakes, I will have four of them distributing water to two pumps for engine and exhaust. 3/4 of the cooling water to the engine (it's an insane Blata, that runs with about 18.000 rpm and up to 14 hp on the top). The last 1/4 of cooling water is to cool the exhaust internal in the boat. Hoping this will work.

I forgot to ask in my last post: Where / how did you get that sweet rear wing? Is it made by you, or can you recommend where to purchase it?

Woody

Lars
I will play some more with water - it was getting dark so hard to see how much it flowed. I just finished J&G work so will put it together to nite.

My Razor is only 45" so it's pretty small.

The "Wing" I made - from 1.5mm sheet carbon fiber - 4/40 threaded rods with 4/40 ball link ends and covered rods with carbon fiber rod and shrink sleeve on ends. It is adjustable for angle and height.

The 'flaps' in front of it on deck are 22ga alum and will open to vent - there is two adjustable scoops further up (I can change angle and opening size). I wanted scoops for fresh air that didn't look like scoops...

Hope she runs better on weekend

Back to work ..... go to bed Lars or good morning whatever it is over abroard

Randy

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats

Oh I spoke with MHZ about box and it's held together with urethane (like they use for windshields) so u need to heat it up and 'slice' it to seperate it.

I will see where I can drop some weight and try some sealed bearings to do away with leaks

Everyone I talk to says they leak -- even MHZ

Later

Randy

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats

Thanks again Randy.

It's early morning here, and after a long night online I guess I have to hit the sheets for a couple of hours now. ;)
Your rear wing is a beautiful job. I hope that I some day can make something like a dublicate of this piece of art. :)

Lars (Woody AKA Woodie...)

Added later: Thanks for the advice about heating (with a flame or with a hot air blower?) before slicing the gearbox open before re-sealing.

Thanks Woodie

it's 9 pm here and I have few hours then bed as I start every day at 6 .... Nitey nite

Later Bud

Randy

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats

Steve Seebold replied the topic: Re: Rat Fink II Razor

Randy, here's an outdrive for your next build.

I finished a run of 48 units on Monday. 25 of them are already gone.

[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\GENERATION 3 OUTDRIVE.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments:

STeve
I want one of your 6" rudders for a build over winter - do you have some pictures ??

I can't seem to find where you had them posted.

Randy

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats

Steve Seebold replied the topic: Re: Rat Fink II Razor

OK Randy, here's the single and the dual pick up brackets. Both with internal plumbing.

Singles will be ready in about a week, dual pick up 3 to 4 weeks out.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.