1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

mephiskapheles6 created the topic: 1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

Here are some pics of my build. I did not get any during the construction of the frame
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hugh replied the topic: 1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

This is going to be pretty. I can see it taking shape B) .

I wont get into a drawn out debate with other members to be the "helper" nevertheless Id just like to make one thing clear.
The reason the big quickdraw was recommended because it makes more power than any of the zenoahs and has a superior design. It was recommended for the boats weight and size.
I still see a few places where you could finish up and save a little more weight without sacrificing strength. The series of holes you cut with the hole saw can be sanded or cut to create singular smooth oblong holes. A hassle but it will be worth it. [/i]

Good luck with this beautiful scale

mephiskapheles6 replied the topic: 1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

Thnkx kindly. This is the second boat that I have built, the first being the 1/12 scale kit from Osborn that the larger one was based on. The original kit was constructed out of 1/8" ply, so doubling the size I figured I should also double the material thickness. Would 1/8" ply have the strength required for a model of this size? I am not against building another.

Unfortunately, the lightening holes were drilled after the frame was put together. I had thought about doing it prior to, but was concerned that I would lose too much strength. Hind sight is 20/20, there are a number of things I would do differently should I do another build.

I will have to save my pennies and work towards the purchase of a quickdraw.

cheers,
corey

.......About saving pennies I know what you mean. I think a frame made of 1/8th inch ply would have worked fine. Aircraft grade would be better. You wouldnt believe the strength once you skinned it. I would not think of not completing this build . Boats like this can weight in excess of 20 pounds ready to roll so I think youll be okay. There are some advantages to being light on the feet. Some however actually prefer a little weight in race water with other boats. When you build a lighter version youll have a home for your 26cc zenaoh and the QD can go in a larger boat. CC racing would be who id ask about making that 26cc zenoah really sizzle. Gas Hydros seem to be doing really well with his engine and Bob Austin's props. He really takes the time to finish them properly. You wont see casting garbage on a finished prop from him. AB is my guy but propworks west it seems is doing some great things with the larger props for gas boats.

To be honest, the QD is still much cheaper than the original two engines I was considering putting in her...the stinger 609 (a 1/4 scale v8) and the Artus v12...oh to dream

slow but sure...
Attachments:

a couple of more pics of the work this weekend
Attachments:

L :blink: :blink: king very nice! Is that Luan ply?

not sure of the name...it is 1/8" mahogany

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.