1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

mephiskapheles6 replied the topic: 1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

Three coats of the System Three and a wee little zenoah
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hugh replied the topic: 1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

About the jig...... Yes I always build a jig to the width of the tunnel when building a wood hydroplane. Ive noticed with the introduction of laser cutting and "toy tabs" or cheaters as I call them people have drifted away from jigs and have started constructing boats right on the bench with no jig. I trust no tabs to make sure the hull is square. Even the jig should be tested for its squareness and truth.
A simple ruler and square will do the trick. To bad you never thought to use a jig. You could have used the boat as a wood blank or mold to do an epoxy glass, or fiberglass lay. Nonetheless this is still a really nice build. keep with it. B)

A few photos I figured youd like on the Hansen website showing the detail added to the Merlin

Wow...I have a lot of work ahead of me if I am to get any where close to that...just got the kit yesterday so I am in the process of building it.

Got some floatation fitted...gotta head out to the pond to check for leaks before I skin the top...she will not fit in my bath tub!
Attachments:

I also just got the plans from Newton Marine for Miss Supertest III...there is quite a difference from what I have built based on the Osborn model to what the plans show...looks like I may end up with a fleet of these boats.

tootalltechie replied the topic: 1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

beautiful work but not a griffon with supper charger
Gordon

Yes Gordon we know the boat uses a non supercharged allison not a merlin :whistle:

Photos are for simple detail ideas on the engines.

EDIT : I stand corrected Thank you Gordon. :)

I did not want to burst anyones bubble just that I have been doing lots of research on "Miss Supertest III" I hate to see someone go to a lot of work to make it look great but not right.

Miss Supertest II and III both used RR GRIFFON MK 58's. in the last picture the intake is facing down with out the carb on it.

the above picture is a "Merlin" but not the Griffon a Griffon rotates in the opposite direction (notice supercharger outlet)

the above picture is a a Griffon, also notice round top on cam covers
this is a link to an online service manual to the RR Merlin
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mephiskapheles6

I was aware that the engine in her was a Griffon, however I was unable to find a dummy Griffon engine kit so I opted for the Merlin (at least it is a Rolls Royce) I will attempt to make a few changes to it so that it looks closer to a Griffon.

Having just finished reading Roostertail: The Miss Supertest Story, I have found a number of things (although mostly minor) that seem to be considered correct, are in fact not so...at least according the the book. Two off the top of my head are that MST III was decked in cherry ply not mahogany and that the aluminium on the sponsons was actually magnesium plates.

Gordon, what has never been clear to me, even in these photos, is where the spark plug wires terminate. Did these engines have a distributor? How did they fire?

Time to create page: 0.378 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.