1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

Hugh replied the topic: 1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

Maybe but It looks great. I hope you kept the cutouts, so next time you can trace and cut your own Merlin/Griffon patterns out. Simple construction when you think about it. I saw at wal mart, of all places, an articulated wooden figure about 11 inches tall. It looked just like a car collision test dummy. A six dollar price tag got me thinking. I havent bit yet but the dummy is fully articulated; wrist,waist, the whole nine. It seemed like such a waste to cut off his bottom half. :unsure:

I dont know Corey, looks pretty close on the size to me . It sits a little further forward in the real photo, but of course you need to mount the real engine first to see what is what.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mephiskapheles6 replied the topic: 1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

The great thing about the kit I got was that it also came with two full size layout sheets of the parts, so it should not be too much to build another one...I am still undecided on the size...I guess I just had it in my head that the engine would take up more room in the boat...the more I look at it the better I feel about the size.

I just got a mount for the Zen...so tonight I get to rough fit it...gotta wait for the rest of the hardware to get here before I get her balanced and what not...plus I still need to make sure she does not leak!

Now here is a question...what of the air trap? In the picture attached you can see what appears to be a metal (possibly aluminium) piece that is the turn fin, but it also appears to continue past the rear of the sponson for a distance...is this something that needs to be reproduced on the model?
Attachments:

tootalltechie replied the topic: 1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

The plating on the bottom is magnesium so I would assume other parts would be too. Since the full scale boats ran counter clockwise I would think it is a turn fin. I would know how it would handle clockwise with the fin. Miss Supertest speed records were straight line runs through a 1 mile speed trap, having to do it in both directions for an average.

You can see the extension (for lack of a better word) on this side as well...just wondering if it would improve the model if I were to replicate it.

Have you read Roostertail: The Miss Supertest Story: John Joseph Kelly? I found it to be very interesting and have just ordered The Miss Supertest Story in Photos by the same author. I wish I had known I was going to be building a model replica of her when I saw her in Gravenhurst this summer...I would have taken a lot more pictures.
Attachments:

The "air dams" run both sides, not sure about the "turn fin". shame I live so far away from Ontario, She was on display in Sarnia in Aug. Would love to see the original plans. mmm I did read and have "Roostertail: The Miss Supertest Story" did not realize he has a book of pictures. Just looked at a preview of the second book, very very interesting.

I have got a set of plans from Newton Marine...they look good to me...but being new to the hobby and those being the only plans I have seen...I have nothing to compare them to. I wonder where one would find a copy of the original plans...I do recall in the book that the Thompson family offered to give the plans to any Canadian willing to build another one.

I also found a facebook page for Miss Supertest put up by the Prince Edward Yatch Club...there are a lot of pictures there...more than I have found else where on the net.

Hugh replied the topic: 1/6 scale Miss Supertest III

"I do recall in the book that the Thompson family offered to give the plans to any Canadian "

Why they gotta be canadian? :lol: Whats up? You yanks dont think us southerners can do anything but run shine and nascar???? :blink:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If it ran straightline, did it have a "turnfin"? Looking at the photos, it seems they would extend the dam, and increase straight line stability.

I lent the book to my boss, so I cannot quoate it...but I believe the intent at the time was to continue to defend the Harmsworth for the Common Wealth.

I have not seen a set of Newton Marine plans of Miss Supertest III. I know a lot of RC boaters use their plans. I'm curious how the full size boat plans look. Would love to use them in my sketchup drawings, instead of guessing from photos.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.