Need help setting up a mono for the first time.

Aussie replied the topic: Need help setting up a mono for the first time.

Jase

The 500 measurement is for a 90 size nitro motor

Aussie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jase replied the topic: Need help setting up a mono for the first time.

Cheers.
I'm just about finished now I think, but I have one last (hopefully) question:
Whats the easiest way to drill the hole for the oil in the stuffing tube?
Thru the the T-bar or by taking it part and trying to line it back up again? My drill chuck doesn't tighten on the 1mm bit and the dremel just slides off when drilling thru the T-bar.....
How do you guy's do it? Or should I just use grease on the flex and not worry about the auto oiler thingy?...

Canadian Hot Rod RC Boats replied the topic: Need help setting up a mono for the first time.

I'd try grease first because you have a liner in the tube. Hard to keep liners from shifting so if you grease it you know you have lube. I use oilers but I don't have lined stuffing tubes

Randy

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats
www.youtube.com/channel/UCjwPZIU4nBUUk1CG0xf3TnQ

Sounds like good advice. Probably better for the environment too, plus I was wondering how the liner was going to stay put.
Even with a cable tie I had doubts about it shifting. And I'm used to greasing before every run so that will be easy to remember.

Canadian Hot Rod RC Boats replied the topic: Need help setting up a mono for the first time.

If you use the proper oil - it's not that bad - I run Stihl bar oil

www.stihlusa.com/products/gree...d-fuels/biooil/

The cable spinning creates heat so after a bit the liner will kind of wedge itself inside - till then then zip tie will hold it in place .

We always put a felt pen mark on liner and tube to watch and check (once in a while) to make sure the liner doesn't spin.

Your boat is looking good - should be a quick little begger :side:

Randy

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats

Thanks, I'm quite happy with it so far. I only hope it goes as good as it's looking! lol
I'll try and find a work around to the drilling problem and use the oil as well, not much point buying a t-bar with a reservoir if I'm not going to use it I spose.

the solution to the liner is to just run the right size tube with no liner - my mono's all run with 5/16" (,018 wall) with 11/32" over top it
  • The two pieces are soldered at transom end (Together to stop tubes from twisting inside each other)
  • Then the tube is bent to desired shape (the slight bend also holds tubes together)
  • It's mounted to T Bar and boat
  • Remove oil tank or nipple (I use separate collar with nipple - then I can see if tube is rotating - even if my tube rotates the collar is separate and attached to tube so it rotates with it)
    I use small pice brass tube (guide) inserted in "Oiler feed hole" -- use it as a guide for a 1/8" drill bit and drill through both tubes
  • I put a piece of 1/4 rod in tube when drilling so I don't drill through and don't get a burr on inside
  • I then I make sure all is tight and lined up
  • Seal transom - dap of silicone at transom to stop water and help with vibration
  • done
  • I use Stihl Enviro - oil and top it up little bit each run
  • end of day I pull
  • and check
cable

www.gizmomotors.com/index.php/...6-tubing-detail
www.gizmomotors.com/index.php/...2-tubing-detail

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats
Attachments:

Awesome. Thanks for that. I've managed to drill a 1mm hole thru, is that not big enough?
I see you drill 1/8" (3mm)...

it may be I'm not sure - I never drilled one with a liner - have to try it and check it a few times and see :woohoo:

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats

Might just nip back out to the shed ( for about the 4th time today! lol) And open it up a smidge. And off to the mower shop for some oil. Is there any special applicator involved or will a syringe and some tygon do?

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.