Anyone running a 72 seahawk?

Jd267 created the topic: Anyone running a 72 seahawk?

Hey guys how are you new to the forum and want to introduce myself my name is John . I'm getting ready to build a seahawk with a inline twin and was wondering if anyone is running this set up . Thanks I look forward to meeting you guys and making some friends on a normal forum :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

marc replied the topic: Anyone running a 72 seahawk?

Hi and welcome John...

Can't help you with the Seahawks, Ive never run one myself, but looks like a nice project!

Modelgasboats.com - Home of the WARPATH Riggers!

Follow Modelgasboats.com on FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE
"

Alrobbie replied the topic: Anyone running a 72 seahawk?

John, My name is Allen and I built a Seahawk three years ago. I originally put two QD 30.5 engines in it and had lots of problems, seems like with all the vibrations from the engines something was always coming lose. Also with the two engines and a six foot plus boat it was hard to get it in the water on a toss, because I had to toss it out about six feet to clear rudders and the bottom of the pond I was in. So this past summer I decieded to take one engine out and build another boat with it, and I did. Its easier to get in the water now and runs good still had a few things to work out after switching to one engine I got real busy and then winter hit so I never really got it back in the water since I worked out all the problems. I got mine from Tom from Expresscraft and mine was the last one he made before he retired. then he had a stroke and then he worked out a deal with a friend after he couldn't sell business and now he's making boats again. Allen
The following user(s) said Thank You: marc

Jd267 replied the topic: Anyone running a 72 seahawk?

Wow two 30.5 pioneers !! That's crazy lol. I hope to be running a twin inline rcmk with zenoah cylinders , clutch , water pump etc . Seems like a good hull for that set up . I have to figure out what hardware and fuel system I'm going to use I'm thinking speed master with enforcer fuel tank . I will be using twin hot pipes

Hi John, this is Allen I bought a lot of my stuff that I needed from Bonzisports.com They may seem a little high price but the quality of the products are great and if there is something you don't like after you get it just tell it to Daniel Hoffman, he's the owner and he does not want a unhappy customer. If there is anything I can help you with on your build? just ask. Keep in mind your CG when building it is very important. You probably only want one gas tank that will keep the weight down in the front of the boat. I just bought a 50 inch boat from them in July and thats the one I put the second QD in from my Seahawk. I finished it late October and decieded not to start the engine until spring. By the way I live in Justice Illinois and have a nice pond about four miles from my house. Allen

Myescape replied the topic: Anyone running a 72 seahawk?

yeah mate just reinforce the hull with a few layers of carbon fibre and double up the strength in the transom ,,epoxy another 1/4" ply on the existing transom plate inside,,,it will make all the difference between a good handling hull and a great handling hull,,,you will need horsepower to push big hulls ,,throw a inline or two and enjoy your boat,,,,forget the clutches and gearboxes they just slow you down....

Mitch from QD says straight up don't use a clutch for one thing it makes it harder to get CG with the engines set farther to the front. That was alright with me I save over $300 dollars. Allen

I do have a clutch and would never run a 72 inch boat with out one it's just not fun . My motor is a rcmk inline with pro gzr zenoah top ends . I'm running twin QD deep vee pipes . I epoxied the stringers and laid a little more mat in the stringer area and it did stiffen them up . I am also gong to make a bulkhead to install forward to stiffen up the hull as per toms recommendation. Finding the CG I think the best way is to assemble the boat with everything you plan on using that will be bolted down then balance the boat on a broom handle on its side etc and move the engine around till it balances ? Am I correct on that guys . I planned on running a bonzi gas tank also. With the clutch I figured the other positive is the stuffing tube will be short so the 1/4 flex should not be that stressed with the twin HP/ tourque
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alrobbie

Hi John nice to from you again. The CG is to be 29% according to Tom from Expresscraft. Its the way I set mine up. I have a good lift in the front of the boat out of the water. You don't have to have gas in the tank when checking your CG but everything else should be in the boat even the prop and rudder at the end. I think 20 1/2 inches is 29%. Also you should wrap the exhaust pipes with high temp material easily purchased on E-Bay, so you don't melt the fiberglass or start the boat on fire while running. The pipes will get around 800 to 1000 degrees unless you are going to run water through the pipes. if i can figure out how to put up some pictures of my boat I will do that and you can see how I staggered my engines. But last summer I decided to take one engine out and I did, I built a 50 inch Bonzi boat with it, I did not get it in the water yet. Allen

Thanks for the info guys ! I decided to use a single engine in the hull a gizmo 30 plus and I will be running a clutch .

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.