Wrist Pin Retainer Clips coming off

high-tech created the topic: Wrist Pin Retainer Clips coming off

I have seen these clips come off and chew up 3 motors, all of them 29.5 big bore in our local club in the past 6 weeks, my buddies Y6 just did it today and his motor is about a year old it didn't happen cuz the clips weren't installed properly...

My question is why can't we put square cut retainer clips instead of the round ones? And where could I find these if they exist?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bob DeCortin replied the topic: Wrist Pin Retainer Clips coming off

Like a regular snap ring?
Those factory wrist pin clips should be replaced when they are removed, never reuse them.

strictlybusiness1 replied the topic: Wrist Pin Retainer Clips coming off

If you're referring to flat internal retaining rings that have small eyelets for insertion; they have been known to break at their ends when used for wrist pin retention. Maybe part of the problem could have come from to much end clearance. A properly inserted "C" ring should never come out, even when the end clearance is excessive (.005"+). There are many simple telescoping type tools to make insertion easy & prevent distortion of the "C" ring.

JA

Attachments:

high-tech replied the topic: Wrist Pin Retainer Clips coming off

I was thinking of an internal retaining clip without eyelets, I'm trying to eliminate issues before they happen to me...
Attachments:

Hot Rods replied the topic: Wrist Pin Retainer Clips coming off

I have seen high dollar/experienced installers have the factory clips come out and destroy motors. I have installed them properly into new motors, and while they go in very snug, after a short time they are rotating in the groove, burring and cutting the groove, and very close to coming out. It seems they are hit and miss for reliability IMO. Whenever possible, I fabricate push-in Teflon pin buttons that eliminate the worry and hastle. They are not permanent, and our motors come apart frequently for inspections and replacement as needed. I don't sell them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: high-tech

high-tech replied the topic: Wrist Pin Retainer Clips coming off

Do you put the buttons and the clips or are floating the wrist pin with just the Teflon buttons?

Hot Rods replied the topic: Wrist Pin Retainer Clips coming off

Yes, they float ( center the pin ) and ride on the cyld. walls and transfer bridges.

Attachments:

Gulf Coast replied the topic: Wrist Pin Retainer Clips coming off

LOL The left clip is Sprung< ;) Plastic? Never seen that? Send me some info!

Scoot replied the topic: Wrist Pin Retainer Clips coming off

So what tool do people use to insert the clip with, Ive made and used the brass plunger type with little success, Is there a better tool.

Cheers Scoot.

Canadian Hot Rod RC Boats replied the topic: Wrist Pin Retainer Clips coming off

I have heard Daniel's works pretty good - I do square the ends like he shows in video (helps a lot) :woohoo:

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats
www.youtube.com/channel/UCjwPZIU4nBUUk1CG0xf3TnQ

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.