Lightened flywheel for Zenoah

Canadian Hot Rod RC Boats replied the topic: Lightened flywheel for Zenoah

Have you actually raced them with lightened flywheels? Not trying to be rude just curious -- I hear guys say that "They have heard" it but have not run them that way

I would think - the boat who gets the revs up first would lead out of the corners :laugh: the boats are already 'spooled up' (reved up) so it's not like you need the torque to get it rolling (heavy balancer) - it is already rolling ????

Just seems funny that guys pay for lightened pistons and cranks to rev faster - but believe that a heavy balancer would not be a factor in faster revs - guys worry about a 28g piston vs a 20g - (8g) but the TK balancer is 94g vs Zen 210g (116g)

Just curious - thanks

Randy

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats
www.youtube.com/channel/UCjwPZIU4nBUUk1CG0xf3TnQ
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rysquedases replied the topic: Lightened flywheel for Zenoah

I was told the engine doesn't bog down as much in the turns and helps maintain rpm when you let off the throttle to manoeuvre. I myself would run like to run the lightest fly wheel possible thinking that it is better for the longevity of the engine. I did a little testing my self and found that turn fin, rudder design and prop selection / set up is what bogs down the engine in the turns. What you say makes sense to so I guess it's a "catch22".

Nic replied the topic: Lightened flywheel for Zenoah

I have raced a M course and oval with a lightened fly wheel . To me the engine seems to spool up faster , but also loose momentum just as fast when you back of the throttle ... I never had one to come apart .

RACER X replied the topic: Lightened flywheel for Zenoah

What's wrong with this statement? "helps maintain rpm when you let off the throttle to manoeuvre" :whistle:
When I let off the throttle it is for a reason to slow down and not maintain RPM.

One example would be how some racers let off the throttle for a split second before the turn to settle the boat in a groove and another ( engine spins but doesn't push during a slower spool down), another would be that you have a better chance of not cutting out the engine when the time comes during a race that cut back, turn hard and overload the engine. This technique is used in many types of racing.

By the way blooper on my first post third picture went unnoticed. :whistle:

Bob DeCortin replied the topic: Lightened flywheel for Zenoah

You can eliminate the flywheel altogether and run EI.
The only problem with super light flywheels/EI rotors is that they are harder to pull through compression.

I plan to take a 16th" off and bevel the diameter of the ( CY ) flywheel side that faces the case and see what happens. As far as the lightened ZEN flywheel goes, I dont remeber the last time I seen one advertised since a picture of a busted one on another forum or to risky to try. I think the magnets are to wide ? It would be nice if Zenoah had other flywheel options like the younger manufactures.

I have a couple of the 20 EI - that's why I was wondering about why more guys don't run lighter flywheels ??

The 20 EI's rev rather well....

Cheers

Randy

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats

tootalltechie replied the topic: Lightened flywheel for Zenoah

I'm thinking of mounting the primary and secondary coils on the secondary coil bracket, when using the Tk coils and fly wheel. Is this a good idea?

Still don't get what you are doing ????

Do you want the TK small balancer to mount on a Zen?
Using Zen Ignition (coils - I call one a coil and one a pickup - but that's just me) or are you wanting to use TK coil & pickup?

If you bring it over whatever it is I'm sure we'll figure it out......... B)

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.